Thursday, February 17, 2011

Who Am I, Anyway?

I am a mother, grandmother, former teacher and former principal with over forty years of experience in the fields of parenting and educating children. I am starting this blog because I believe I have a lot to say that may be helpful to parents and teachers but especially to parents, a child's first teacher. I have learned that many ideas having to do with the education of children are very simple ideas that are executed with great expertise. The secret to a well-executed simple idea is to first establish a routine and procedure that accompanies that simple idea. The most effective methods in teaching children, whether in the home or in the school, are those methods that involve routines, procedures, consistency and predictability.

Do not believe that children will get bored with a predictable routine. They will not. The reason they will not get bored is because predictable routines make children feel secure in their environment. They know what to expect day after day and are reassured by that structure. It is very unsettling to children (and also to adults) when the "rules of the game" change arbitrarily and cannot be predicted. For this reason, it is critical to have set routines and procedures for everything. Children thrive in an environment of predictability. They trust that things will be the same, no matter what. It is our job as the responsible adult to be sure we create the environment our children need.

Some children are more affected by change than others. However, all children need advanced warning when an established routine is changing. I know that circumstances change and some days are crazier than others. Take the time, though, to let your child know if a procedure is changing, even if just for one day. Don't assume they won't care--they will.

I hope that this blog will be a resource for parents, teachers, friends of teachers--anyone who works with children, has children, or knows children. Sometimes, it's the simple advice that can change the course of your day.

3 comments:

  1. great advice, will pass this along to friends with children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing your comments and ideas. As one teacher who worked for you, I can say that no one had a better pulse on the kids and parents at our school than you did. I learned a lot from you, and Jill, and Dottie. (But don't tell them that. I wouldn't want it to go to their heads!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you are a fabulous mentor that continues to teach me!

    ReplyDelete